Sunday 17 June 2012

Flowers


Flowers


I’m not a skilful writer. I probably won’t impart profound/moral messages to you from the blog posts i write, like some of the bloggers I follow.
But I can tell you about my day.
I finished exams on Monday but have been equally as busy since. Most recently I attended a large gathering of friends aka garden party (!) It was really cool. It’s just so nice to see people without the worry of exams or deadlines.  I realise I really like people at this time! People seem they’re best when there are few stresses around.
As the youngest at the event (18) it didn’t stop any of the other sisters from organising fun games to play, like tag. Now, of course, I joined in...
I used to run a lot, back in the day, and I like to think I’m pretty fast. We’ll I’m fast when I have to run for a competition or away from danger. Regardless, thank God I’ve completed my first year in uni, but I haven’t really done any exercise since I started :S  (does cycling count?)
So even though I was successful in evading the skilled sisters who were quick considering their flowy, long garments, I really suffered in the sense that I always ran out of breath super quickly and am now sitting with strange muscle aches o.O
Anywhooo, after this memorable gathering we and some other sisters went to a real party (!) to celebrate the engagement of a friend. This was an all-girls party so there was a lot of dancing. One thing about me, I DO NOT shy away from dancing (thought I was going to say something else, right?)
A lot of vulgarity ensued (lol joke), and several muscles were pulled.
After a very nice day/night/early morning I returned back to my temporary home (i.e. student housing) and began prepping for my slumber (why am I writing like a weirdo you ask?)
Before I went to sleep I checked my email because I’m under the permanent impression that I’m very important and must check my emails at least 5 times a day. A friend of mine who did not attend the post-garden party shenanigans was on gmail chat (it’s cooler than msn) so I decided to talk to her for a bit, before bed time.
To summarise the conversation I asked her why she hadn’t come to the crazy dance thing and she said that lately she had been thinking of how she chooses to spend her time. My conversation with her got me thinking too.
I like to think I’m religious, but that very much depends on my definition of religiosity which may not agree with yours. Regardless my faith very much stresses on the importance of being aware that one day we will die and this life is fleeting so do good.
To put things simply, if I were to die, I don’t know if I would have wanted to be in the place I were last night (really, nothing bad took place, it was mostly halal, but not completely I suppose)
She told me of how an other lady who also got engaged had a similar gathering organised to celebrate her engagement by her friends, although it only involved prayer and dhikr (remembrance of God).
I guess I’d like something like that.
Anyway I went to sleep and I woke up super stiff this morning. I began to browse the net then headed out in search for food. There was none so I took a walk instead, did some 5 minute yoga in the fields then took a mini nap. The sun was out briefly which was nice considering the weather we’ve been having. On my way back to my room I noticed the flowers outside my block.
I don’t know what it is about flowers, and I don’t know anything about botany. But I love them so much!

4 comments:

  1. Flowers tend to make people believe in the goodness of this world. They also make you believe that this world might not be such a bad place consedring that these beautiful species live in this planet. Weird, but I like flowers because they make me feel calm.

    Congrats on finishing your exams. I did the happy-dance in the bus when mine finished two week ago:D. Such a relief, really. But the thing that popped in my head when reading your post was that when your exams are finished, you get too much on your time - how do we spend that time, then? And I totally relate to getting super breathless very quickly. Thanks for reminding me to fix that problem:P I liked this post; you told your own story and your own version, which is all that matters because it's you and the way you see the world.

    PS: What do you study at University? I wanted to ask you that for some time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi SOAS :)
    hope you are well. I recently completed my first year of a 3 year natural sciences degree programme. I hope to go into graduate medicine inshaAllah :)
    what about you?

    ReplyDelete
  3. come back! Hope all is good (=

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ah lovely, you're so kind. I do miss writing in this blog and inshaAllah I will. sadly i've become somewhat of a tumblr addict...

      Delete